Before we start finding solutions for your problems, you should be aware of what the problems actually is.
Firstly you should be aware of what Genuine Windows actually is; Genuine Windows is published by Microsoft, properly licensed, and supported by Microsoft or a trusted partner. It is the original product that is only available at authentic Microsoft stores, sites or in the possession of trusted partners. Any other source or third party from which you have taken the Windows software is considered not-Genuine or pirated.
Only customers with genuine Windows have access to all optional updates and downloads available from Microsoft, which are designed to help you get the most from your PC.
Now coming to the problem that is faced by many people on a daily basis is common error named as “this copy of windows is not genuine”. It isn’t necessary that this error being displayed on your screen is an indication that your Windows is not genuine. At times this error also occurs on devices that have Genuine Windows in them. In one of the cases of having a Genuine Window and still getting this error message, might be that when a command that is being executed it requires an elevated command prompt and is unrelated to the issue discussed here.
**This guide is for educational purposes only; we do not promote the use of pirated windows or the software being bought from third parties. The best and most fool proof method is to buy windows from the official seller. It will cost a little money but save you the inconvenience. (Link to the official site: https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/store/b/home)
Now starting off on how to remove or fix this error, you should know that this method works on both 34-bit and 64-bit versions of window 7.
Symptoms: These are few things you will see when this error appears.
- A fully black screen will appear.
- An error message on the bottom right corner will be displayed: “This copy of windows is not genuine.”
- And If you try to use vbs /dlv to view the licensing status, you receive the following message: Error: 0x80070005 Access denied: the requested action requires elevated privileges.
This image is what you will mainly see on your screen. The error 0x80070005 comes for the “Windows 7 build 7600.” This in turn is not a big issue and can be resolved; there is no need to panic.
Also Check: This video is not available in your country Fix
Why do you need to get rid of this error?
- Some of the features are restricted unless you remove this error in your computer.
- You can’t change the wallpaper of your computer; you are left with the black background. (Not very necessary, but a black wallpaper isn’t much appealing).
- This error gradually reduces the performance of your computer; making your computer slow.
- It is said that your laptop’s battery can be drained quickly because of this error.
We bring forward to you a step by step guide of how to resolve this problem with ease. There are basically two methods of how you can resolve these problems. This will increase your understanding of the software to some extent.
3 Steps To Fix This Copy Of Windows Is Not Genuine Error:
Step 1: Uninstall update KB971033
This update is known as the windows 7 activation checker update (KB971033) As mentioned earlier this error message may occur because a command prompt requires a higher level of update then as to what it already has; means your windows has an updated file which can detect your Windows OS. And you need to uninstall that update. If only you see this update KB971033, then only you need to uninstall it. Otherwise you skip this step and move to the next step.
- Go to the start menu; open control panel form there.
- Go to “Security System” (skip this step if you use windows XP)
- Go to “Windows Update Section”
- Click on “View installed updates” (link at the bottom left corner). If that link isn’t there, click on “view update history” and hit the “installed updates” link at the top.
- You’ll find a section named “Microsoft Windows”, scroll down and look for an update named KB971033.
- Right click it>click “uninstall”>click “okay”.
- Restart your PC, and check again that this update is uninstalled.
- **Note- You can also do a system restore, it will bring this update back. No need to worry.
Step 2: Use SLMGR -REARM command
This is the main step to remove the “This copy of windows is not genuine” error. You need to run a command know as SLMGR- REARM command. We have prepared a step by step procedure of how run these commands.
- Go to start menu
- Search “cmd” in the search tab, right click it
- Select “Run as Administrator” (this will run the command prompt with administrator privileges)
- A page with a black background, will popup; Type SLMGR -REARM and then press enter. (SLMGR is a tool which manages Windows software license. REARM is a command which resets license status of the machine.)
- You will see a window which displays the following text “Command completed successfully. Please restart the system for the changes to take effect”. Press “okay”.
- Restart your computer, and check to see if the error has been removed or not.
- **If for some reason the “This copy of windows is not genuine” error hasn’t gone away; repeat the same procedure but this time with “SLMGR /REARM” command.
(“SLMGR – REARM” works for 32-bit version perfectly, it also works for the 64-bit version, but if for some reason the command doesn’t work then use “SLMGR /REARM”.)
Now even after following these steps properly some you still might have encountered a few errors. No need to panic, as we bring forward to you; what might be the errors and how to solve them.
Error 1: Also called (Error 0xc004d307) This maximum allowed number of rearms has been exceeded. Now let us find a solution for this problem. You get this error because you have used the command for more than three times. Follow the steps below
- Press “Windows + R” you will see Run dialog. Or open Run from start.
- Now type: exe
- Now click on the arrow mark which is left of “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE”.
- Now click the arrow mark which located on the left of “SOFTWARE”.
- Now keep on clicking the arrow mark which is located on the left, in this order; Microsoft -> WindowsNT -> Current version.
- Now click on the word “SoftwareProtectionPlatform” not on arrow mark.
- Now, look for SkipRearm; it will be located on the right hand side. Once found, click on modify, then change its value data from 0 to 1.
- Now just restart your computer.
- Now try the SLMGR –REARM command again. You won’t face the errors again.
The second type of error that you can face is given below, the solution is as follows:
**NOTE- You can apply same procedure for any command error which is not recognized as an internal or external command
Error 2: SLGMR is not recognized as an internal or external command.
- First: First of all make sure you have entered the command properly. The command being SLMGR –REARM (Many you may have overlooked the fact that, there is a space in between the “-“and the “R” of SLMGR.); this may be the reason for the error.
- Second: Another reason that this error has occurred may be because you haven’t opened command prompt in administrator mode , make sure that is taken care of. (If not then repeat Step 2, properly this time by making sure you open command prompt in administrator mode.)
- Third: vbs file might have some other extension. To get rid of this you need to remove the extension by renaming the file. You can do that by the following steps:
- Open “My Computer”> “C Drive”> Windows folder> Search for “System32” file.
- After that scroll down until you find “slmgr.vbs.REMOVEWAT” (or any other extension of this file).
- When you find it just rename the file to slmgr.vbs.
- After doing this, repeat the above procedure again and this in turn will remove the “This copy of windows is not genuine.” But for those who don’t have genuine windows your work doesn’t end here, you have to complete another short step.
Step 3: Disable Auto Updates
You have to disable the auto-update feature of Windows which has been installed in your system, to make sure that windows not genuine error will not pop-up again.
To disable auto-updates follow the steps given below:
- Open Control Panel > System & Security > Turn Automatic Updates On or Off.
- Select “Never Check for Updates”
**NOTE- Don’t update your windows manually, as the OS will find out that your window’s isn’t genuine and the error will appear again.
Conclusion– That’s all folks. Hope this step by step guide was helpful for you, and helped reduce your inconvenience. If any of you do have any other methods be sure to comment and let us know.